Who We Are
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
Navigation at Mapbox
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like DPD, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart.
The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of Mapbox’s strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://blog.mapbox.com/tagged/navigation
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Engineer on the navigation API team you will be spending a lot of time working on a state-of-the-art routing and guidance engine written in C++. Along with that is a constellation of supporting services which power the data consumption and storage of the routing data. And this is all in an open source environment.
The kinds of projects you will be working on include things like:
- Improving our route selection for auto, cycle, walking and more
- Improving our ETAs for the routes we provide
- Electric vehicle routing
- Natural language guidance
- Scaling our router’s performance to do more with less
- Up-to-the-minute live traffic integration
- And much more…
In this role, you can expect to:
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and routing engine tiers, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing navigation products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger navigation team; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
Navigation API services interact with many internal systems at Mapbox, making this a high-visibility team with great opportunities to collaborate across the company.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language, e.g., C++, Node, Rust, Go, or Java.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS). Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- Experience or interest in solving geo-spatial problems.
Candidates should also have:
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing in a multidisciplinary environment, supported by mentorship experience and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity