Mapbox is all about precise location data and powerful developer tools to change the way we navigate the world. Our services are at the heart of our customers' businesses, be it BMW, Porsche, Toyota/Lexus, Rivian, GM, DPD, Doordash, Instacart, The Weather Channel, Strava or in total more than two million developers worldwide serving over 600 million users monthly. We provide powerful routing engines, accurate, traffic-powered travel times, and intuitive turn-by-turn directions to help our customers build engaging navigation experiences. We give designers control over everything from colors and fonts, to 3D features and camera angles, to the pitch of the map as a car enters a turn. Our APIs, SDKs, and live updating map data give developers tools to build better mapping, navigation, and search experiences across platforms.
What We Do
Search has a lot of challenging areas for engineers to explore and grow. Moreover, Mapbox search is about location and it can be highly adjustable to the end-user use cases, like navigation routable points, along the route search, limited connectivity search, etc. We focus our efforts on relevance, geo-context optimisations, data conflation, merging offline and online solutions and measuring all of that with high-volume user feedback. Search is the key component of our solutions. Every route and every delivery starts with a search.
Get familiar with our search service first-hand: https://www.mapbox.com/search-service
Explore our iOS Search SDK: https://docs.mapbox.com/ios/search/
Or do the searching in the playground and find room for improvement: https://docs.mapbox.com/playground/geocoding/
What You’ll Do
Search interacts with many internal systems at Mapbox, making this a high-visibility team with great opportunities to collaborate across the company. As an iOS Engineer, you'll be responsible for owning the iOS Search SDK.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Be responsible for everything related to iOS Search SDK, driving new initiatives and experiments with API and UI, contributing to open source community and participating in developer feedback;
- Create an out-of-the-box solution utilizing multiple Mapbox SDKs: Navigation, Maps and Search - to get our customers’ apps up and running at virtually no cost;
- Working closely with C++ team on system design, seamless interchangeability and data enrichment of offline and online search engines and personalisation of search results;
- Aggregate user feedback into data that speaks for itself and creating new data sources from user behaviours to enable further data coverage and ranking & relevance improvements;
- Manage CI pipelines, automated testing and release artifacts;
- Provide comprehensive documentation developers will find easy to follow;
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger search organization; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases;
- Evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing search products and become a well-rounded owner of what you deliver;
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Strong proficiency in Swift with 4+ years of experience;
- Understanding of bridging native C++ libraries;
- Experience with SDK development and robust iterative improvements to API;
- Understanding the customer feedback loop and driving it to the highest standard;
- System architecture experience and understanding of architectural concepts;
- Being excellent team player with the ability to work within a collaborative environment;
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing, supported by mentorship experience and strong communication skills in English;
- Passion about programming and having a strong focus on performance aspects;
- Implementation of automated testing with XCTest and CI pipelines (e.g. CircleCI);
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git;
- Knowledge of writing a cross-platform code is appreciated.
What Would be a Huge Advantage to Have
- Proficiency in C++ with experience and fair knowledge of the language specification, C++14/17 standard is appreciated;
- Knowing algorithms and data structures, experimenting with service improvements based on data analysis and performance profiling.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for all Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities and own what they do.
- We emphasize a partnership of teaching and learning to equip employees with a psychologically safe environment and tools needed to be successful in their function and growth.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive leadership, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We strongly believe in the value of a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.