Mapbox powers navigation for people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors, vehicles and phones in real-time. Our navigation software lives in mobile devices, vehicles, trucks, embedded. Whether you are starting your car, watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is within those apps.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, engineering manager to lead the development of one of Navigation Native teams. You will be focused on one of the areas such as:
- TBT-navigation core
- Electronic horizon.
You will be responsible for organizing the team's day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs and has an impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Drive discussions with existing and potential customers to successfully build a solution
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience building and maintaining complex software development projects powering millions of customers.
- Knowledge of AI fields such as machine learning and CV would be great.
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships
- Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work
- Ability to take on a business ownership role, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deeply understand problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.