Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. Mapbox’s navigation products are at the heart of some of the most sophisticated companies in the world from Instacart and DPD to Porsche and GM, helping them optimize their fleets and cars, and navigate through an ever-changing environment.
What We Do
At Mapbox, data is foundational. It flows into every product we sell - maps, navigation, or search - and ultimately to our customers. Our map, navigation, search SDKs are used by 175,000 Developers, our services are used in 45,000 apps, and the number of Monthly Active Users is over 700,000,000!
Data Services is a division inside Mapbox, responsible for acquiring, processing, and delivering high quality location-oriented data to enable internal and external customers. The RAVE team is a key component of maintaining high quality map data and the voice of our users for Mapbox navigation and maps -- drivers and search users. It consists of 3 Data Teams and 3 Core Teams.
The Data team depends on a stable feedback pipeline and high quality, easy to use tools to enable efficient processing of map data changes, triaging customer feedback and providing insights for internal core teams. The mission of the RAVE Tooling Team is to provide data specialist with tooling for human annotation, review, validation and edits as well as to build systems and infrastructure, powering our Feedback Service for customers using Mapbox Maps, Search, Navigation APIs/SDKs globally (e.g. Improve the Map).
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, technical manager with talents in 3 dimensions - planning, metrics and leadership to bring a new vision and develop RAVE Tooling internal and external products. You will be responsible for organizing the team's day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs, aligned with the company strategy and has impact on the overall business. You will partner with a passionate group of Engineers and Data Specialists, and a wide-variety of internal stakeholders at Mapbox around the world.
In this role you will:
- Operate the service and resources day-to-day and be hands-on in project management;
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making;
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team;
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfy customer requirements;
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities;
- Contribute to operational planning driving the team’s work;
- Work closely and empathize with Engineering teams and Managers across Mapbox;
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 3+ years of experience building and maintaining complex software development projects that process large volumes of data (one for location or mapping is a favor);
- Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work;
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad international audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships;
- Passion for the operational excellence of your systems including aspects of building and monitoring metrics, triaging and resolving issues, and improving a pipeline continually over time;
- Ability to take on a business ownership role, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently;
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias and ability to weigh conflicting constraints and make the appropriate tradeoffs;
- Proficient at evaluating multiple perspectives and crisply articulating strong opinions based on principles and data;
- Eagerness to work in a fast-moving, growing company;
- Commitment to recruiting, building, and retaining a diverse engineering team.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.