As a Backend Engineer, you will develop new data engineering/transformation tools, build new application features, and construct new APIs. This position is primarily about implementing completely new capabilities in our Data Prep product, working up and down the backend stack to design database collections, services /middleware, and complex API interfaces that power the core of DataRobot’s Data Prep technology. You will need to constantly design for scale, usability and simplicity/maintainability while working in a fast-paced startup environment. Familiarity with design patterns for both SaaS applications and patterns for fast and memory efficient data manipulation will be important. Also important — the ideal candidate would have strong development skills in both Java and Python to bridge across multiple application components.
Along the way, you will develop comprehensive automated testing to ensure the product is reliable and scalable. You will help us handle issues promptly to minimize disruption to users as we roll out new state-of-the-art features. Pairing with and mentoring colleagues is a must. We are a very collaborative team.
You should be deeply interested in, and capable of building and maintaining complex systems. You should be highly-motivated, capable of working independently, and proficient in the following areas
- Java/Scala Programming
- Python programming (python 2 and 3)
- Data manipulation using Spark
- API Design
- MongoDB / NoSQL Databases
- SQL / Traditional Databases
- Data manipulation
- Familiarity with Linux operating system
- Familiarity with collaborative development, including code reviews. Either in a commercial or open source environment.
- Strong desire to build efficient and scalable software
Experience in the following areas would be a plus, but not necessary:
- Familiarity with the Kubernetes or Hadoop ecosystems
- Linux shell scripting
- Jenkins or other Continuous Integration platform
- AWS, Azure or GCP experience
- Experience in a start-up environment