Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things, automotive, logistics, and AR/VR.
We are looking for smart, fast learning team players who are driven by the idea of enhancing and developing core and essential components of current and future implementations of location ecosystem here at Mapbox.
What We Do
On the Search Core SDK team, we use our engineering and API design skill to build tech that solves complex problems using Mapbox technology, from navigation systems for cars to real-time asset tracking and delivery services, reaching millions of people around the globe.
We design, implement and evolve Mapbox APIs, establishing a connection between native engines and its corresponding mobile and embedded platform SDKs within a competent, cross-functional, passionate and self-organized team.
We work on exposing simple, fast and elegant APIs for performing online and offline searches for street addresses, places, and points of interest around the world. We work to ensure it is easy for any developer to implement Mapbox Search in their mobile and embedded applications
What You’ll Do
As a Software Engineer on the Search SDK, you will be responsible for the product development for a core search library. Your responsibilities will include:
- Work on the Search Core SDK that’s used as a standalone SDK for embedded apps as well as for connecting native engines with their corresponding platform SDKs
- Work with a modern C++14/17 code base, using the best practices of software engineering and tools. You'll also work establishing platform bindings to all modern mobile platform languages.
- Implement real time algorithms running on low power embedded hardware devices as well as mobile platforms;
- Solve interesting programming, algorithmic, and architectural challenges.
- Improve the project’s performance, stability, maintainability and simplicity.
- Work together with internal teams to ensure best practices for cross-platform API design.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role:
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, eagerness to solve challenging technical problems in code generation and interface design space using emerging technologies.
- Strong intuition and empathy for the needs and challenges mobile developers face.
- Empathy and kindness; willingness to learn from different perspectives and patience to help others grow.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with distributed teams. Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Strong in C++, algorithms and performance optimization.
- Implementation of automated testing platforms and unit tests;
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git;
- Maintaining or contributing to open source projects is a plus.
- Mobile development (Java, Objective-C, Swift) is a plus.
- Embedded platforms (Linux embedded, Android) is a plus.
- Location technologies (maps, GIS) is a plus.
- Search engine experience is a plus.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities;
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people;
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company;
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
We are creating a very strong team of professionals able to solve complicated and interesting tasks. We will provide appropriate working conditions, good salary, really nice office in the city center and others.