Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Navigation is building a suite of products which will power Mapbox’s future growth in key verticals including Automotive & Logistics. Specifically, our turn by turn Navigation SDKs, internal dogfooding reference apps, and partnering with our customers to build new driver experiences.
Navigation SDK combines the power of Mapbox’s Maps, Directions, Search, Telemetry & Vision technologies into a consumer grade package. The Navigation SDK product powers location for some of the most sophisticated companies in the world from Instacart & Porsche to DPD, helping them optimize their fleets and navigate through an ever-changing environment with a our living map.
You can read about how our Navigation team is partnering with Porsche to enable an entirely new kind of navigation experience: https://blog.mapbox.com/porsche-and-the-future-of-navigation-7317399a94a4
What You'll Do
- Be trusted with open-source, mobile SDK development, which you will own end-to-end, including the design, development and operations of our Navigation SDK for iOS
- You will be expected to be a thought leader in driving the architecture, code health and processes for building robust mobile products
- You’ll be empowered to make product development decisions and take the lead in the direction of your project
- You’ll interact directly with key Mapbox customers and partner with cross-functional teams within Mapbox to solve their root problems
- Be a key contributor on a small, growing team in a critical path for the company’s growth
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Deep expertise in iOS development with Swift and/or Objective-C
- Past experience authoring idiomatic/ergonomic APIs that are intuitive to use
- Can move quickly but built with the right intuition about when to be scrappy and when to slow down
- Preference for candidates with prior experience contributing to SDK’s and/or Open Source projects is a plus
- Experience building location powered products and services is a big plus
- Familiarity with Android or C++ are nice to haves
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.