At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Our culture combines the spirit of a startup with the perks of being public. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role:
Fitbit is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to Developer Productivity team to join an existing team of 6. As a team member you will optimize the speed and efficiency of our entire engineering organization. You will manage a variety of projects related to tooling, build engineering, automation, continuous integration and deployment, and much more.
Our goal is to provide high quality services and tools to engineerings teams to provide the best and smooth development experience we could.
The team in EU is split between Minsk, Belarus and Bucharest, Romania offices (6 people) and have adjacent team in San Francisco, USA (3 people). You will work closely with team members located in all the offices, collaborate with other platform teams on delivering projects and help engineering teams to adopt best practices, debug and troubleshoot issues related to the use of internal services. This work might require short term travels to Europe and the US.
You need to be able to identify problems in development and delivery workflow, work with teams on developing solution and deliver it. Majority of our users developing services in JVM stack; our current tech stack is a bit wider and include Gradle & Jenkins DSL, Go & Bazel, as well as Bitbucket, Artifactory and Sonarqube as services we maintain. Our deployments are using Apache Mesos and Aurora with plans to get to Kubernetes in the very near future. The team is currently working on migrating existing services from puppet and bare metal setup to GCP and Terraform, developing approaches for simplification of upgrades for services we own (Bitbucket, Artifactory, etc), standardization of CD pipeline.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, devops engineer, or similar role
- You're extremely comfortable with the Java language and ecosystem. You know the ins and outs of the language, are comfortable with the standard tools for building and delivering applications written in Java.
- Experience building, deploying, and operating web applications and services as well as frameworks and tools for engineers.
- You are familiar with or have an interest in diving into the internals of applications and frameworks like Bitbucket, Artifactory, Gradle, Bazel, Sonarqube.
- Able to work effectively as part of a small (and possibly distributed) team
- You can communicate effectively with peers and are able to tailor your communication to your audience
- Ability to take a high level (and often vague) problem, design the solution, and work independently to deliver the project
- Able to independently design and implement moderately complex components or systems.
- Create and own technical design documents
- Act as an expert for the tools, systems, and/or applications you work on
- Coaching and working with other teams to build scalable and reliable software
- Mentoring new team members
- Acting as a positive example for other software engineers to follow
- Contribute to the goals of a globally-distributed team and be willing to take an active role in helping the team deliver results
- Contribute process improvements that boost productivity and quality
- Participate in the team’s production on-call rotation
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options (RSUs)
- International Team of world-class engineers
- Cutting edge tech stack
- Premium hardware of your choice: Apple or Lenovo
- Comprehensive medical insurance: medicines and dental
- Fitbit employee discount on devices and accessories
- Sport expenses compensation
- Flexible work hours
- 26 days vacation, paid sick leave, extra days off
- Free English classes with native speakers
- Business trips to US & Europe
- Fully-stocked kitchen
- Office located in the city center
- Work on life-changing product
Fitbit Engineering Values:
- Respect the trust our customers place in us
- Own your success
- Help others succeed
- Know the “Why”
- Debate, commit, execute
- Make things we are proud of
- Leverage data to decide & iterate