At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,700 employees, sold over 90 million devices, and built a health and wellness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto and back again! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, a wellness stipend, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Brief description of the job:
The Data Platform team is responsible for making the vast amounts of data at Fitbit accessible to teams across the organization. We are also responsible for supporting the compute layer on top of the data which enables clients of the platform to build features and perform analysis on that data. We spend our time working with internal clients like product managers, data scientists, data analysts and other engineers to understand their data needs as well as the teams that own the data. Currently we leverage a lot of open source technology like Spark, Hive, Presto, Kafka and more. However, we also believe that Fitbit has a lot of unique problems that require us to think creatively outside of what the open source world can provide.
What You’ll Work On/ Responsibilities:
As a member of the Fitbit Data Engineering team you get to play a few different roles:
Architect: We own the data platform which supports all of our analytics, data science, and data applications.
Developer: We write lots of code. You'll be writing high-performance software that's responsible for moving data between our various data storage tiers.
Consultant: We work closely with the data providers and data consumers to ensure their needs are met. We are only successful if our clients are successful.
Leader: We need to be vocal about our experiences to internal teams as well as the outside world through blog posts, presentations and open source contributions.
Mentor: As we grow our team, we need strong mentors who will level up those around them
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Strong Java and/or Scala knowledge
- Extensive experience with Big Data and distributed systems
- Experience with some of the key technologies we are building on: Spark, Kafka, Hive, Parquet, MySQL, Cassandra, BigQuery, BigTable
- Proven track record of working with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work across teams to solve problems
- Upper-intermediate English
- Cloud IaaS experience: AWS, GCP, or Azure CloudDevOps experience
- Experience with Python
- Experience meeting compliance requirements for Safe Harbor, HIPAA, HiTRUST, etc.
- Airflow, Luigi, or other orchestration tools
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and stock options (RSUs)
- International Team of world-class engineers
- Cutting edge tech stack
- Premium hardware of your choice: Apple or Lenovo
- Comprehensive medical insurance: medicines and dental
- Fitbit employee discount on devices and accessories
- Sport expenses compensation
- Flexible work hours
- 26 days vacation, paid sick leave, extra days off
- Free English classes with native speakers
- Business trips to US & Europe
- Fully-stocked kitchen
- Office located in the city center
- Work on life-changing product
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person’s appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.