At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we’ve grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
Fitbit’s Database Engineering team is expanding and we need smart, capable engineers to help us transform the way we design, deliver and manage our data platforms. We’re looking for all levels of skill in our new team members.
To succeed in our team, you will need to have a balance of MySQL or Cassandra knowledge, customer facing technical support experience, good scripting skills (Python preferred), and a drive to raise the bar for quality via automation and smart design.
Our current platform is a blend of MySQL (Percona) and Cassandra data solutions running on Linux. We’re a large scale, highly distributed environment with both conventional sharding and some pretty unique challenges. As we move further down our Application Micro Service roadmap these challenges will become even more interesting.
At Fitbit, the buck stops here when it comes to these data platforms, so while we drive the Technical Architecture and Roadmap for this space, we also operate a 24x7x365 operation to ensure that Fitbit customers see the highest possible availability and performance from our apps.
What You’ll Work On:
- Operational support for our data platforms and participation in a shared, “follow the sun” on-call rotation.
- Analysis and testing of new DB platform upgrades and enhancements.
- Collaborate with Infrastructure teams to understand and communicate new needs/requirements.
- Identify and address automation opportunities around our data platform management using open source tools.
- Capacity and Performance management of all Fitbit data platforms.
- Management of access, entitlement and security aspects of the data platforms.
- Participate in technical roadmap review and updates for our data platforms.
Who you are:
- Expertise administering MySQL, Cassandra or Amazon RDS/Aurora
- A solid working knowledge of source control and config management tools like Git, Puppet and Ansible (or similar).
- Experience with open source tools such as Percona Toolkit, Orchestrator, ProxySQL, nagios, prometheus, jenkins.
- Experience supporting mission critical / customer facing systems 24x7.
- Experience managing and supporting DBs in a Linux based environment, preferably large scale.
- Scripting skills and working knowledge of Python or similar language.
- Experience in designing and automating repetitive processes.
- The ability to work under pressure and multitask while still holding a high standard of quality.
Perks & Benefits:
- Work on Products that are core to Fitbit ecosystem and helping improve people’s lives
- Opportunity to learn from world-class professionals from Fitbit offices across the world
- Transparent and consistent feedback to help you advance your career
- Competitive salary and annual bonus (based on your individual performance goals)
- Top-tier Macbook
- Medical Insurance: Health and Dental
- Free Fitbit devices for you, devices for friends & family with discount
- 26 days vacation + 5 personal days + 1 paid day off on your birthday
- English classes
- Fully-stocked kitchen
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status